Mission & Core Values
Our mission is to ensure that deaf and hard-of-hearing students achieve their full potential in an educational environment where language and communication are keys to building competence, character and community.
The Learning Center’s founding principles emphasized high academic standards, communication access for all children, and respect for and development of the whole child. The school also began with a strong commitment to innovative programming that is reflected in the development and growth of the past 45 years.
Throughout the years, as new programs have emerged and methodology has evolved, the founding principles remain unchanged. The core values that serve as the foundation for all programs and services at The Learning Center include:
- Early language acquisition is the foundation of a quality education.
- Children have the right to an educational program that is academically challenging and that places a high value on the integration of academic, social and emotional development.
- A program serving children and families must value diversity, and that value must be reflected in hiring, curriculum, and service delivery.
- The environment in which children learn should be comfortable, warm and welcoming.
- Schools should adapt to meet the needs of individual children.
- Families know their children best; to serve children well, schools must have an ongoing partnership with families.
- An effective school functions as a community of learners – children, families, teachers and all school personnel; all voices matter.