Mental Health Professionals Conference 2019:
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
The inaugural 2019 Mental Health Services for the Deaf conference will be held in Framingham, Massachusetts on October 3 & 4, 2019.
Turning Mental Health Services for the Deaf Inside Out: the Deaf Experience Navigating Language Deprivation, Access to Services, and Culturally Appropriate Treatment Plans
List of Topics
1) LANGUAGE: Considering the connections between outcomes and language acquisition and access: Building attachment through language and cultural competency;
2) EMOTION: Unpacking patient/consumer emotional response: separating language deprivation from diagnosis;
3) ACCESS: Tools to overcome barriers to access; interpreters, crisis intervention, hospitalization, etc.
4) DEAF-CENTRIC: Honoring Deaf consumer autonomy: “Nothing about us without us”
5) WHAT’S NEXT?: 4 track presenter Panel Discussion on current trends and priority focus in the field of mental health services for the Deaf
Individuals who work in, or are affected by, the field of mental health services for the deaf.
Proposals are being solicited for 60 minute – 90 minute breakout sessions (divided into “Topics 1-4” above) that will engage participants in a dynamic and meaningful learning experience and creates a safe environment for discussion. Proposals will be reviewed for relevance and purpose of the presentation and presenters’ biographies will be reviewed for expertise and qualifications to present on the subject matter. Rooms are equipped with standard audio-visual units, including projectors, screens, and microphones. The presenter may arrange additional a/v needs, and interpreters will be provided. Presenters, if possible, are also asked to be available for a question and answer panel discussion on May 10th.
A draft conference schedule is provided below; NEW DATE IS October 3 & 4:
Abstracts may not be more than 200 words. Please include your resume and license information. The deadline to submit is TBA.
To submit your abstract, please email: Carolyn Watson-Peters at Carolyn_Watson-Peters@TLCDeaf.org
Presenters will receive a modest stipend payment and a waived registration fee. All other costs associated with attending this conference, including travel and accommodations, are the responsibility of the presenter.
* Abstract Deadline: TBA
* Selected presenters notified: TBA
* Registration Opens: TBA
* Full presentations due: TBA
* Conference Dates: October 3 & 4, 2019