Captioning and Online Learning Platforms
- Live third-party captioning services:
Most accurate, may be necessary for some DHH students.
We recommend CART REMOTE: 813-404-2488
- Open Captions: Always in view and can not be turned on/off by end-user
- Closed Captions: Can be turned on/off by end-user
- Automatic Captions: Generated by software. Different degrees of imperfect, and may contain errors that distort meaning
- Embedded Captions: User can view lesson and captions in the same windowExample: Google Meeting has automatic embedded captions, easy to use, but imperfect
- Automatic Non-embedded Captions: User needs to have two windows open -one for Zoom lesson (or another platform), other for captions:
https://webcaptioner.com/ - Easiest to use
- Automatic Captions which can be embedded:
https://streamer.center/: Free 30 day trial, need to set up account, not simple to learn. Has translation option.
Microsoft translator: Free, just for Windows computers
- More Information on Captioning: (compiled by Tina Childress & Catherine McNally)